Images - Splendour and Glory

Icon: Christ Pantocrator from the Deesis Row of an iconostasis, Northern Russia, late 13th—early 14th century, Wood, with ark; levkas (gesso), tempera; 65 х 42 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of the Saviour on the Throne from the Deesis Row of an iconostasis, Northern Russia, Novgorod, 16th century, Tempera on wood, 87.5 х 63.5 х 3 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of Our Lady of the Don, Volga Region, late 16th—early 17th century, Wood, with double ark; pavoloka (linen canvas), tempera; 32 х 26 х 2.5 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of St Nicholas, Old Russia, Novgorod, late 13th—14th century, Wood, with ark; pavoloka (linen canvas), levkas (gesso), tempera; 107.5 х 79.3 х 3 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of St Theodore Stratelates and St Theodore of Tyre, Old Russia, Novgorod, 15th century, Wood, with ark; pavoloka (linen canvas), levkas (gesso), tempera, gilding, 53.5 х 38 х 2.5 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of the Appearance of the Mother of God to St Sergy of Radonezh, Russia, 18th century, Wood, tempera, 37 х 30.5 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of the Appearance of the Mother of God to St Sergy of Radonezh, Russia, Trinity-Sergiev Monastery, 1621—1622, Wood, with double ark; pavoloka (linen canvas), levkas (gesso), tempera, gilding (double); 30 х 25.3 х 2.5 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Presentation vase for Easter Eggs, Russia, St.Petersburg, Imperial Porcelain Factory, mid-19th century, Porcelain, overglaze painting in gold; velvet; 22.5 х 36.5 х 36.5 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Fragment of Royal Gates: St Basil the Great, Nothern Russia, Novgorod, 16th century, Wood, with ark; pavoloka (linen canvas), levkas (gesso), tempera, gilding; 103.5 х 38 х 3 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Fragment of Royal Gates: St John Chrysostom, Nothern Russia, Novgorod, 16th century, Wood, with ark; pavoloka (linen canvas), levkas (gesso), tempera, gilding; 103.5 х 35.7 х 3 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Iconostasis of Alexander I's campaign church, Russia, St Petersburg, Vasily Shebuyev, 1800—1825, Painting on canvas, affixed to wooden frames; 310 х 496 х 20 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of the Saviour, face only, Russia, Moscow, late 16th century, Wood, with ark; pavoloka (linen canvas), levkas (gesso), tempera; 31 х 25 х 2.5 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon 'Jesus Christ' from the Marble Palace, St Petersburg, Russia, Alvian Skotenok, 1856, Wood, oils; 54 х 44 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of the Archangel Michael from a Deesis row, Russia, Novgorod, 16th century, Tempera on wood; 88.5 х 37 х 3.5 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of SS.Zosima and Savvaty, Miracle-Workers of Solovetsky Islands, and their Lives, Northern Russia, late 17th—early 18th century, Wood, with ark; pavoloka (linen canvas), levkas (gesso), tempera; 89.6 х 70.7 х 3.4 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of the Assembly of the Most Holy Mother of God, Russia, St Petersburg, Mikhail Funtusov, 1755, Tempera on wood, 49.5 х 21 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of St Andrew the First-Called, Russia, mid-18th century, Tempera on woord, 34 х 24 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Francesco Fontebasso (1709—1769), The Last Supper, 1762, Oil on canvas, 132 х 193 cm (oval)
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of St Maxim the Greek, Russia, Mstyora, 19th century, Wood, with ark; tempera; 31.5 х 26.5 х 2.5 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of the Miracle of St George and the Dragon and his Life, Russia, late 17th century, Woud, with ark; pavoloka (linen canvas), levkas (gesso), tempera; 132 х 114 х 3 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Tabernacle, Russia, St Petersburg, master Trofim, Ryabov, 1827.Silver, gilded, cast, embossed; 90 х 33.2 х 31.4 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon 'Metropolitan Mikhail of Kiev' from the Marble Palace, St Petersburg, Russia, Mikhail Dikarev, Tempera on wood; 31.2 х 26.3 х 2.5 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Enamel scapular of the Holy Blessed Grand Prince Alexander Nevsky, Russia, St Petersburg, late 19th—early 20th century, Copper, brass, enamel, painting, frame with grain ornament; 12.4 х 9.1 cm (picture, oval); 13.7 х 10.5 cm (frame, oval)
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon St Nicholas the Miracle-Worker (NIkola of Zaraysk) and his Life, Russia, Moscow (?), early 16th century, Wood, with ark; pavoloka (linen canvas), levkas (gesso), egg tempera; 61.5 х 48.5 х 2.5 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of Our Lady of Vladimir, Russia, Moscow, late 16th century, Wood, oils, fabric, gold, sapphires, emeralds, spinel; embossing, engraving, niello, blacking; 11 х 9 х 1.8 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of Our Lady of Iveron, Moscow, Russia, 1690—1700, Wood, oils (?), gold, silver, diamonds, emeralds, rubies; embossed, engraved; 9.5 х 7 х 1.3 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Easter egg with depiction of St Alexander Nevsky, Russia, St Petersburg, Imperial Glassworks, 1880—1900, Frosted glass, polychrome overglaze painting, gilding on mastic, engraving on gold; 12.2 х 8.5 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Two-sided portable altar-piece: the Miracle of St George and the Dragon, Northern Russia, 1500—1550, Wood, with ark; pavoloka (linen canvas), levkas (gesso), tempera; 52.5 х 46.5 х 3 cm; with handle 129.5 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of Our Lady of Kazan, Icon: Moscow, late 19th century; setting: Moscow, Pavel Ovchinnikov Factory, 1887; charms: St Petersburg, Carl Faberge Company, 1890—1900, Wood, tempera, silver, gold, diamonds, roses, sapphires, emeralds, rubies, pearls, enamel; 31.5 х 27 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Mosaic depicting an angel with a lily in his hand, Byzantine Empire, unknown artist, 6th century, Mosaic set, tesserae of smalt and natural stones (marble, slate), volcanic glass; 104 х 67 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Icon of SS. Sergy and Herman of Valaam, Russia, 19th century, Tempera on wood, 31 х 26 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Ivan Ivanovich Belsky (1719—1799), Christ Pantocrator on a Throne, 1764, From the Iconostasis of the Great Church of the Winter Palace, Oil on wood, 234 х 86 cm
© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

Vestments of a Major Schematic Monk
Russia. Late 19th – early 20th century, silk, satin, wool, cotton fabric; machine and hand stitching, satin-stitching, appliqué with silk, kukula 163 х 63 cm, robe 172 х 440 cm
© State Museum of the History of Religion, St Petersburg

Icon 'St Sergiy of Radonezh and his Life in 12 stamps', Moscow Tsardom. 16th century, Wood: two boards, lengthened on four sides in the 19th century, two through dowels, ark; pavoloka (linen canvas), tempera. 51 х 40.2 х 2.3 cm
© State Russian Museum, St Petersburg

Chalice, Moscow Tsardom. 17th century, Wood (Karelian birch); turning, painting. Height 18 cm, upper diameter 11.1 cm, lower diameter 10.1 cm
© State Russian Museum, St Petersburg

Royal Gates with depictions of The Annunciation and the Four Evangelists
Moscow Tsardom. 16th century, restored in the 19th century. Panel; pavoloka (linen canvas), tempera. 159.5 x 86.8 x 3.2 cm. Provenance: acquired in 1936 from the State Museum Fund; previously in an Old Believers worship house in Volhovskaya Street in St Petersburg
© State Russian Museum, St Petersburg

Icon 'Mother of God on a Throne'
Moscow Tsardom. Early 16th century. Board with ark, layer of cork on the reverse side; tempera. 126 x 89 x 3 cm Provenance: acquired in 1934 via the State Museum. Fund; originally in the Old Believers Church of Our Lady of the Sign at 8 Tverskaya Street, St Petersburg
© State Russian Museum, St Petersburg

Two-sided portable icon 'Mother of God Hodigitria' and 'St Nicholas'
Ancient Rus, Novgorod. Late 14th–early 15th century. Panel; tempera. 61 x 44 x 3.5 cm (without shaft); height of shaft – 95 cm. Provenance: acquired in 1937 from the Regional Museum Fund via the Committee for the Protection of Ancient Monuments; originally in the village of Pirozero on the River Kapsha, Lodeynoye Polye District, Leningrad Region
© State Russian Museum, St Petersburg

Icon. Deesis, 'Stroganov making'
Moscow Tsardom. 1611. Board with ark; tempera. 191.5 x 88.5 x 4 cm. Badly worn inscription on the reverse side of the middle board: In the year of 1611, october 25th, this deesis was installed in the Church of the Martyr Dmitry of Salonika by Nikita Grigovievich Stroganov. Provenance: acquired in 1913 from Ye. I. Bryagin
© State Russian Museum, St Petersburg

Icons from the Prophets' Row of an iconostasis

Russia, Pskov. C. 1613

From the Church of the Assumption with Paromenya. From the museum's prewar collection. The prophets depicted on 17th century Pskov iconostases can be divided into three groups. They were sometimes painted full length, as in these icons from the Church of the Assumption with Paromenya. There are also half length depictions of the prophets' row in local art (e.g. from the Church of Archangel Michael in the village of Melnitsy) and also occasions where prophets and Old Testament patriarchs are depicted on the same icon surface (e.g. the St Nicholas Church in Lyubatovo). In the centre of Pskov iconostases is the Our Lady of the Incarnation (the Sign) icon, which continues the tradition of the 15th century refl ected in the iconostases of the Assumption Cathedral in Vladimir (1408), the Trinity Cathedral of the Trinity-Sergiev Monastery (1425–1428) and the Transfi guration Cathedral in Tver (mid-15th century).

1. Prophets Zachariah and Balaam
Wood, tempera. 93 x 72 cm, Inv. no PKM 1638
© State Museum and Monument, Pskov

2. Prophets Jeremiah and Baruch
Wood, tempera. 92.5 x 72 cm Inv. no PKM 1639
© State Museum and Monument, Pskov

3. Prophets Zephaniah and Nathan
Wood, tempera. 93 x 72 cm, Inv. no PKM 1640 o.v.
© State Museum and Monument, Pskov

Images interior

© Jeroen Musch

These works of art can be seen at the exhibition Splendour and Glorie from 19 March 2010 to 16 September 2011 at the Hermitage Amsterdam. The visual material may only be published free of copyright for the purposes of this exhibition with the following creditline: “State Hermitage Museum St Petersburg”. The captions above must be used in combination with the images. If this material is used, a voucher copy of the publication should be sent to the address below.

For more information:

Hermitage Amsterdam

Press Office
Martijn van Schieveen en Kim van Niftrik

T:+31 (0)20 - 530 87 55
F:+31 (0)20 - 530 87 50
E:pressoffice@hermitage.nl
W:www.hermitage.nl/pers

Opening hours

Daily 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Closed on April 26 and December 25

© State Hermitage Museum, St Petersburg

The Hermitage Amsterdam is located on Amstel 51, Amsterdam

More information:
+31 (0)20 530 74 88

More information online ticketing:
+31 (0)20 530 87 55